Zulu Lesson Sisters


When Nigerians says ‘sisi’ which means sister, that tells you they’ve been to South Africa because it’s the short form for sister. That is how you address girls or young women in shops, hotels, taxi rank, markets everywhere. You don’t say hey!

Sisi, how are you?

Sisi, where can I find a taxi?

Sisi, I don’t have air time (cellphone units).

Sisi, how much is cornmeal?

Sisi, I’m sorry. I’m running late.

Sisi, I don’t see the price tag on this shirt.


Sisi is not only for the public, it is used at home as well. A three year-old girl is dressed to kill. Adults praise her and say, Sisi, you look wonderful, but you call your elder sister sisi as well. You playfully call a cousin of your age sisi. An aunt who hasn’t seen you in 15 years will be surprised. Sisi, look at you, so grown up!

Two older women sit outside in the sun and reminisce. Sisi, my grand kids don’t want to go to school or get a job. They just dance in front of their phones all day long.

African Languages

Sister is an English word as you know. The Zulu word for sister is dadewethu and it’s still used in some parts of the country. Some real sisters prefer dadewethu to ‘sisi.’ Close sisters call each other, mntaka-ma’ (my mother’s child).

In Nigeria, ada means sister in Igbo if I’m not mistaken, so I think it’s also used loosely like ‘sisi.’ It is didi in India. Shah Rukh Khan is currently blowing up the box office with Pathaan, his latest film. He has an old film where he coaches a hockey girls’ team, or is it soccer? I forget. All the players call each other didi, which confuses the foreign team. “Who is didi?” asks the other coach.

The rule of thumb is that if you are in South Africa, say ‘Excuse me sisi,’ when addressing a girl or woman younger than you, because you don’t know her name.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers