Speak French in France

Felix Auger-Aliassime, born and raised in Quebec Canada. Photo credit, online pic. 

It is an old feud. English vs French. It is still the bone of contention in Quebec, one of the Canadian provinces, where French is the official language.

The French and English are perpetually playing language tennis. Players on both sides of the net expect the ball to travel to and fro in their own language.

French speakers accuse English speakers of arrogance. British tourists cross the Channel, and expect to be served in English on arrival. The French say non, you are in France, parlez some French. That is what French do when they visit London or Dublin: speak English.

The British can be very arrogant. I was reluctant about my first trip to France during my student days. Don’t worry, everybody speaks English, said my friends. It was arrogance alright and I should know. I was born in the southern part of the Equator, and teachers caned us for speaking Zulu, Xhosa or Sesotho.

I ignored my friends and learned survival phrases which will get me to hotels, food, directions when lost, and the toilet. Sight seeing was easier. Famous Paris tourist places offer not only English and French, but other languages as well. The problem I had on that first Paris visit was shopping because most reps did not speak English.

But see, the problem was right there. Me, with the mentality that the world must, ought and should speak English. Why?

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers