News and Sources With No Name


Kids do not tell lies even when parents tell them to do so. Example. I’m owing the neighbour some money or a cup of sugar I borrowed when I was low on funds. I see the lovely lady through the net curtains.

Morning baby, is your mom home?

Yes Auntie, she said I should say, not here.

We discourage lies in growing up kids but we condone it in adults. Take media reports for example. What is a ‘source?’ They are people who give writers information but do not want their names in the story. Usually, the information is so important, it determines the headline. Here’s a hypothetical case. Bill Gates Remarries in Dubai.

Let’s say I’m dumb enough to read further. I’m deflated that the headline is based on a ‘source.’ Common sense kicks in and I realize that he will not remarry for tax reasons and if he does, he will get married closer to home, in one of the islands owned by his friends.

We discourage lies in kids but we do it 24/7. The writer does not have to lie, because there is  something called opinion or commentary. It is your take on an issue. You don’t have to hide behind ‘sources’ that don’t exist. In fact, the internet has made things easy. That is what social media is all about, video, photos and blogs. It's all opinion. 

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers