Zulu 5 - Catch


Bamba
To hold something is ‘bamba.’  What is frustrating is waiting for two minutes and the receptionist says, “Who are you holding for?”  Is there a blog called THINGS THAT DRIVE ME CRAZY?

ZULU
ENGLISH
Bamba la.
Hold this.
Bamba ingane.
Hold the baby.
Ngibambele umama.
I’m holding for my mother. (especially at work, when she is sick)
Ubambile?
Are you holding?
Yebo.  Ngibambile.
Yes.  I’m holding.
Bamba i-phone.
Hold the phone.
Ubambele bani?
Who are you holding for?
Ngibambele i-manager.
I’m holding for the manager.
Ngisabambile.
I’m still on hold.
Kade ngibambile.
I’ve been holding for a long time.
Bambanani.
Hold each other. Support each other.
Masibambane.
Let’s hold each other.  Let’s support each other.
Ubanjiwe.
He or she is arrested.

SAMPLE CONVERSATION
ME:  Ngisabambile.

RECEPTIONIST: Ubambele bani?

ME: Ngibambele i-manager.

RECEPTIONIST:  Bamba.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Organic Brussels Sprouts