Where in Zulu


Where is my daughter? North Nigeria, schoolgirls kidnapped 
for sex in the name of religion.


Where, has one root in Zulu -phi-, pronounced as pick.

You then attach someone in front. Example, u-phi ubaba, meaning where’s father? U-phi u-gogo, meaning where is grandmother?

We cannot find things. Where did I put the drill? You don’t know because you don’t use it often enough, like a toothbrush. Songs are about someone looking for love, something that doesn’t exist. Intimacy,  yes, fondness yes. Love? Hollywood invention to sell red roses, diamond rings, white wedding gowns and honeymoon.

Before cellphones and GPS, we asked people on the streets, ‘excuse me, where’s  550 Main Street?’ Where is justice for people born black and beautiful in America. Donald Trump is still looking for his ‘stolen election’ which resulted in voter suppression laws in Georgia and other states.

ENGLISH

ZULU

Where are you going?

U-yaphi?

Where are you?

U-kuphi?

Where is Ada?

U-phi u-Ada?

Where is Ada and Phiwe?

U-phi u-Ada no-Phiwe?

Where are the boys?

Ba-phi abafana?

Where are my glasses?

Zi-phi izibuko zami?

Where should I vote?

Ngi-zo vota ku-phi?

Where is your husband?

I-phi indoda yakho?

Where are my car keys?

Zi-phi izikhiye zemoto yami?

Where do I go from here?

Ngo ya-phi uma ngisuka la?

Where is the water?

A-phi amanzi?

Where is the food?

Ku-phi ukudla?


EXERCISE:
 Ask ten people where they are. Also ask things, like where are my keys, books etc.

This is another ‘written podcast’ by Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers