Scary in Zulu

Scary is in thu-sa Zulu, Halloween scary.

Thu-sa. You say the first part like took and the second like sun.

I don’t do vampire movies. They are scary (zi-ya-thusa). I don’t like cops and bad guys movies also, because of all that blood and brains exploding. I’m not a murder fan because it boils down to that, killing. Call me dumb.

Some people scare easily. Brothers and sisters stand behind doors and say Waaaah! The one who was not expecting it runs after the culprit to strangle him. ‘He scared me mama.’ Denial. ‘I didn’t mama. I didn’t.

This corona thing is scary (I-Covid-19 i-ya-thusa). It was scary when it was first reported in other parts of the world, scary when it came closer to where we work for peanuts, scary when the NBA deflated basketballs depriving us of Raptors’ genius, and even scarier when businesses locked their doors. People scared us some more when they bought cartloads of toilet paper. Here we are in April 2020, still toilet paper-less and scared.

I scare people in public places, when I get off the elevator or enter an office. I don’t know why I become apologetic. Sorry! I scared you. Denial. ‘No, no you didn’t.’ Silly me. I’m not scary.

I’m so beautiful, I wanted Madame Tussauds in London to make a wax figure of me. I quickly deleted the idea because they cannot reproduce my parents’ amazing production, which is me. Yes indeed!
ZULU
ENGLISH
Musa u-ku-ngi-thusa.
Don’t scare me.
Khulu, u-Bhoyi u-ya-ngithusa.
Grandmother, Bhoyi is scaring me.
Musa u-ku-thusa udadewenu.
Don’t scare your sister.
U-Trump u-thusa I-Canada.
Trump scares Canada.
I-COVID-19 i-yathusa.
COVID-19 is scary.
Impi yomhlaba yesithathu iyathusa.
A World War III is scary.
U-kufa kwezinkomo kuyathusa.
Livestock death is scary.
I-somiso siya-thusa.
Drought is scary.
Wendy wangithusa. Bengithi ngingedwa e-ofisi.
Wendy, you scared me. I thought I was alone in the office.
U-Tony u-yathanda u-kuthusa abantu.
Tony like scaring people.

Tip: Remember, you always say ‘u’ like ooze.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers