Wishful Cooking

Cook onions, 2mato in olivoil for 6 mins. 
Add apples and bell peppers. Cook for 4 mins. Eat.

Mama did not like eating out. She believed it’s for rich folks. She felt that for $10 spent in a restaurant or take-out, you could have bought chicken pieces, onions and tomatoes. 

She taught us how to cook because we were going to grow up and leave home. Cooking is a survival skill. How right Mama was. I love cooking but I’m realistic. There are no go areas. Life is too short. That’s why I refuse to attempt certain cooking.  

1. Paella. I understand it originated in Spain.

2. Pounded yam. Nigeria and most West African countries.

3. Corn bread: United States of A. Thanks to African Americans.

4. Gumbo. I understand we thank New Orleans (N’awlins) for that.

5. Haggis. Scotland.

6. Lasagna. Italian I think.

7. Pavlova. Russian, are we?

8. Carrot cake: Origin unknown.

9. Pumpkin pie: Origin unknown.

10. Mutton curry. Lucknow (India) mutton curry is reputed to be the best, hands down.  

Cooking is one thing, finding ingredients on a tight budget is another. I thanked mama for budgeting skills when I found myself in strange lands, living on scholarships.

This is another ‘written podcast’ by Nonqaba waka Msimang. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers