Maya Angelou Died 28 May

We erect statues
outside town halls
for men who killed other men
women and children
in other countries
for our country.

prime ministers and presidents
have elaborate ceremonies
to unveil them
time moves along
in a 24/7 fashion
and we forget them
despite passing these statues everyday

Don’t erect any statue for Maya Angelou.
© Nonqaba waka Msimang, 26 May 2020.

She was no statue. She was a river, a rippling mass of poetic messages that glided over rocks and algae on the way to my mind. Maya is alive every time I notice something new in my body. I smile and say ‘Maya!’

Her poems validate me. All the time, because Maya loved Maya. I love myself, every nook and cranny, whatever season, whatever year. Maya loved herself in a delicious and mischievous way. Phenomenal Woman is widely quoted, but it is not the only poem about loving you for you.

There was a poem where she said she walked like she has diamonds between her thighs. Is that right? I’m not sure. What happened to my books? Did someone nick them or were they lost in transit, the transit of my life?

This is a COVID-19 year, so I can’t go to the bookstore to replace them. Libraries are closed so I cannot do justice to this post. All I know is: don’t erect a statue for Maya Angelou because she lives in us.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang, author Sweetness the novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers