Hiding English


Photo: Nonqaba waka Msimang
English is my second language. I’ve learnt to live with it because I need it to get around. What I’m still grappling with is the other English, the hiding English.

There is no other way to put it. This English is used to camouflage things and not call a spade a spade because other gardening tools like the fork, rake and hand shears will get upset.

Hiding Behind Bushes English
Straight Forward English
Insufficient funds in your bank account.
You’re broke. No money in your account.
Cellphone charges will be adusted in 2020.
Using your phone will go up 2020.
Impaired driving.
Drunk driving.
They are alcoholics.
They are drunks.
Guest services in shopping malls.
Customer service (I’m not a guest at the mall. I do eye-shopping and split).
Correctional Services
Prison/jail/lockdown.
Security was compromised in the liquor store.
Thieves broke into the booze store.
Restructuring.
Lay-offs. Firing workers.
Industrial action.
Strike action. Picketing.
Team leader.
Manager.

Exercise: Add your own.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners