Say Goodbye in Zulu


Goodbye is va-le-li-sa in Zulu.

Ma didn’t play.  I couldn’t go back to university without saying goodbye to her mother, Khu-lu.  I gladly took the bus to her place because I knew that I would come back with a cooked farm chicken, steamed bread, fresh vegetables and pocket money.  My grandmother was the best, hardworking, loving and tolerant of her crazy kids and grandchildren. 

We say goodbye when we leave a job, leave home, leave a country but seldom when we leave a relationship.  That’s another story.

North America loves elections.  The current mayor or president is defeated, so he calls supporters and says goodbye, we ran a good race but lost.  Thanks for your support.

Va-le-li-sa.  You say the first two parts like valet, as in car valet service in those fancy hotels. You say the third part like Lisa and the last part like some.
The Fort Garry has car valet service.

ZULU
ENGLISH
Va-le-li-sa ku-baba.
Say goodbye to dad.
Susan, va-le-li-sa ezinganeni.
Susan, say goodbye to the kids.
A-ngi-va-le-li-si.
I never say goodbye.
I-pathi yo-ku-va-le-li-sa.
A farewell party.
Aka-va-le-li-sa-nga u Kawhi Leonard.
Kawhi Leonard did not say goodbye.
Wa-va-le-li-sa u-Danny Green ku-Twitter.
Danny Green said goodbye on Twitter.
Babekazi ngi-zo va-le-li-sa.
My father’s sister, I’m here to say goodbye.
Mancane, ngi-zo-va-le-li-sa.
Small mother (aunt) I’m here to say goodbye.
Tim no-Thandi hambani ni-yo-va-leli-sa.
Tim and Thandi, go and say goodbye.
Ngi-zo-va-le-li-sa.  Ngiya phesheya.
I’ve come to say goodbye. I’m going abroad.

By:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.
By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners