Sci-Fi Movies And Reality


I miss myself.  I miss my name because the government, banks and all other entities that control my life ask for my number, when I pick up the phone to ask them something.
My name is Nonqaba Msimang. I’m calling about …………..
May I have your account number sir.
Actually, I am a woman ……..
Your number please.
It is for this reason that I will start watching sci-fi movies.  It’s creepy the way they have become our reality. 
We are no longer human beings with names our parents lovingly gave us, but numbers.  The government and banks can only know my name through numbers.  Account number first, then the name.
I understand in some countries, newly born kids are given numbers as soon as they holler, I’ve arrived.  I’m in the house. 
Right now, kids have street or stage names. That can all change with them coming up with d-names (digital names).
No problem.  Sooner or later the government will run out of numbers and revert to names.  O.K.  I’m not crazy.  It was just a thought.
Nonqaba waka Msimang is the author of Sweetness the novel.


Nonqaba waka Msimang is the author of Sweetness, a South African novel.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners