Real Songs

What is a Song?

Singer Khalid,  song Can we just talk.

The COVID-19 stay at home made us do things we haven’t done in a while, like listening to the radio. We seldom do it anymore because we have radio apps that give us radio stations from all over the world.

Listening to the radio without head phones has been a joy. I had forgotten that I can do many things around here while listening to the radio. I’m not a hostage, like watching television or screening online movies.

What I find enjoyable the most though, are the songs, especially songs about journeys, songs that explain who what why where and when, songs like Memories by Maroon 5 and Khalid’s Can’t We Just Talk?

 
Memories. Somebody is at a bar and reminisces about yesterday and today, people he lost on the way and the hurt. Oh! the hurt. I wonder why we remember the pain and not the good times. That’s human nature I guess.

‘everybody hurts sometimes

everybody hurts someday.’

It’s just a song but why does it reminds me of my own broken dreams? How does the singer put it? ‘when I believed in forever.’ I don’t know why I take it personally because Memories is about the bigger scheme of things.

‘when I felt all the hatred

was too powerful to stop.’

Can’t We Just Talk by Khalid, is another song they always play on the radio. This one seems to have one theme, feelings, real or imagined, there’s a destination but it’s not defined that is why the two should talk. The will is there so things are looking up.

‘penthouse view

left some flowers in the room

I’ll make sure I leave the door unlocked’.

Easy listening, an open-ended song, full of possibilities but who knows? That’s why they have to talk. Songs are fiction right? But I still want the story. That's why Tracy Chapman's Fast Car visits me from time to time.

I even find stories in jazz: the piano, brass section, drums and even that big ole stand-up bass guitar.

Call me old school -which by the way- is the new school.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers