Love Letters From Banks

‘Our records indicate that we have not …….’

I will let your imagination finish the sentence. Experience actually, because you have also received such love letters from banks before, unless you are Meghan Markle, who had her own serious money before she got married, and still has. That’s why she should continue to wear whatever fashion designer she fancies.

Back to the bank’s love letter. The records indicate I have not paid because I don’t have it, something I told the bank when it enticed me with the card that reflects my lifestyle. I resisted the offer because I have a life, not a lifestyle.  

Lifestyle is what people like Meghan Markle have. It’s a style that makes them clueless to the question ‘How much do you have in your cheque account?’ $140.03. You know yours!!!

Welcome to the club, my club with members that know their bank balance so that they are not embarrassed at the drugstore/chemist when they swipe their cards for  cough mixture or nail polish. We know our bank balance because we always have an excuse when friends and colleagues suggest trying out a new restaurant that just opened down the road.

‘Our records indicate that we have not …….’

Your records will just have to wait. I don’t have money for that lifestyle card. I took it because I was tired of making excuses for not taking part in fun-filled activities. I have money for bread and butter issues like transport, food and shelter.

I might never use your card again which is no problem because Christmas is coming and I might get some card offers. It’s always raining credit cards in November in preparation for the holiday lifestyle.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers