Gone Fishing in Zulu


Fishing is do-ba in Zulu. 


I still don’t understand videos of fishermen holding a giant fish then throw it back into the water.  That fish is no longer genuine, after breathing polluted air humans find normal.  It is now a ‘has been’ and might die soon.  Poor thing!
Fishing can be dangerous for humans if they are used as bait for some evil deeds.  Khakee, a Bollywood movie has Aishwarya Rai playing the bait to lead her boyfriend, the villain (Ajay Devgan), away from the police, led by Amitabh Bachchan.  Scary, very scary! 

The borderless country called the internet is also injurious to health because millions of thieves are masquerading as friends when they are actually throwing the fishing rod for fraud and sex slaves.
Don’t give me the fish.  Teach me how to fish.  I don’t know how many movies I have seen with those two lines.
Do-ba.  You say the first part like doll, the second like Bali, with a soft b.

ZULU
ENGLISH
U-Bonga u-yo-do-ba.
Bonga has gone fishing.
U-Themba no-Amal ba-yo-do-ba.
Themba and Kamal have gone fishing.
A-be-kho ba-yo-do-ba.
They are not here.  They went fishing.
Ngi-zo-do-ba ku-sa-sa.
I will fish tomorrow.
A-ngi-kwa-zi u-ku-do-ba.
I don’t know how to fish.
Ngi-fu-ndi-se u-ku-do-ba.
Teach me how to fish.
U-do-ba e-ku-se-ni.
He goes fishing in the morning.
U-nga-do-bi la-pha.
Don’t fish here (warning board).
O-so-po-li-ki ba-ya-do-ba.
Politicians are fishing for votes.
By:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Organic Brussels Sprouts