Borrow/Lend in Zulu

Borrow is bo-le-ka in Zulu.

English is my second language and the borrow vs lend debate reminds me of English teachers in Africa.  They said you borrow from and lend to someone.  Borrowing happens in December as we accept banks’ offers to increase credit limits, so that we can buy objects for friends and families that demonstrate our love.  We will borrow more in February to buy gifts for Valentine’s Day.
Naira, Nigerian currency
Photo:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.


What is your credit rating?  I was shocked when I came to Canada and businesses asked me this question.  I don’t owe anybody.
Mama would be appalled.  She taught us to live within our means.  You don’t borrow from anybody.  That was Africa.  In North America and Europe, your wealth is measured by your ability to borrow.  I’m now a serious borrower to help the economy and my adopted country.  Yes indeed!

Friends and family can be funny.  They come on bended knee asking for money for an emergency.  When it is pay back time, you become the enemy, the irritant. “She is pestering me for $1 000, a measly $1 000.” Life’s funny.
Bo-le-ka.  You say the first part like bobo the clown, the second part like leg and the last part like the Indian name, Kazeem. 

ZULU
ENGLISH
Bo-le-ki-we.
A girl’s name meaning the one who is borrowed.  We don’t know why the family gave the baby such a name.  Maybe she took a long time coming and the family believes that she is borrowed from ancestors.
Mbo-le-kwa.
A boy’s name meaning the one who is borrowed.
Bo-le-ka-ni.
A boy’s name meaning borrow from.  Once again, it’s the family that knows what should be borrowed and where.
Bo-le-ka.
A boy’s name meaning borrow.
Ngi-bo-le-ke i-ge-ja.
Lend me the hoe.
Ngi-zo-bo-le-ka i-ma-li e-bha-nge.
I will borrow money from the bank.
Ngi-zo-bo-le-ka i-ma-li ko-ma-sho-ni-sa.
I will borrow money from high interest societies.
Wa-bo-le-ka i-ma-li ko-ma-sho-ni-sa.
He borrowed money from high interest societies.
Baba, ngi-ce-la u-ngi-bo-le-ke i-mo-to.
Dad, please lend me the car.
Clementine, ngi-ce-la u-ngi-bo-le-ke 500 euros.
Clementine, please lend me 500 euros.
Bohuslav, ngi-bo-le-ke 250 Ukrainian hryvnia.
Bohuslav, lend me 250 Ukrainian hryvnia.
E-ka-ba-ni le-truck?
Whose truck is it?
Ngi-yi-bo-le-ki-le.
I borrowed it.
E-ka-ba-ni le-ngu-bo?
Whose dress is it?
Ngi-yi-bo-le-ki-le.
I borrowed it.
By:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Organic Brussels Sprouts