Africanized English


Cellphones are called
o-ma-khale-khukhwini in Zulu, translated into: the thing that rings in the pocket.  This is not new. Isi-Zulu always adapts to internal and external challenges. 

The best way to learn the language is living in South Africa, where the umbilical cord is buried.  IsiZulu is called Ndebele in Zimbabwe.

This little blog tries to give non-speakers a whiff of the language.  However, English words that have been re-mixed into Zulu are seldom included.  There are certain things that came with the Queen of England’s armies, as they took the land through the barrel of a gun and treachery.
Salt for example.  There was no salt in Africa so Zulu speakers called it u-sawoti.  There was no sugar, so they called it u-shukela.  The English brought butter to Africa, i-bhotela.  A motor car became i-moto.  Here are some English words that got an African flavour.  

I-mi-fakela, that is what our ancestors called them.  Additions would be the nearest translation.

ENGLISH WORD
AFRICAN VERSION
Mat, door mat or sleeping mat.
U-mata.
Boy.
Boyi.
Sweets.
U-swidi.
Tea.
I-tiye.
Bus.
I-bhasi.
Saucer.
I-soso.
Plate.
I-pululeti.
Box.
I-bhokisi.
Garage.
I-garaji.
Gun.
I-si-bhamu (because of the noise guns make ‘bham’ ‘bham’ ‘bham’).
Bed.
U-mbhede.
Bed sheet.
I-shidi.
Packet.
I-phakethe.

EXERCISE:  Ask your friend who speaks Zulu to give you more words.
By:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Organic Brussels Sprouts