Waterfalls in Zulu

A waterfall is impophoma in Zulu.

Waterfalls are my thing so, I’m off to Brazil and Argentina to check out the Iguazu Falls.  You wish!!  O.K. O.K.  That’s too ambitious, broke as I am.  I’ll do Niagara Falls instead, which is nearby, but I’ve been there.  I can still feel the mist after all these years.
I-mpo-pho-ma comes from the sound it makes, pho-pho-pho.  Waterfalls break many hearts as they go downtown: caressing rocks, plants and fungi that don’t understand that they cannot stay the night, an hour even a minute.  Waterfalls must go down, down and down, like Mary J. Blige in the song I’m Goin’ Down.

Maletsunyane Waterfall is in Lesotho, that country in the belly of the beast (South Africa).  It’s is a must-see if you are a tourist visiting the beast.  You need good drivers though. Lesotho has tarred mountain roads, but you still have to be careful.  I’ll be forever grateful to my aunt Thuli Mokete and Dr. Mokete for giving us their driver who took us to Maletsunyane Waterfall, a 630-feet drop.
I-mpo-pho-ma. You say the first part like email, the second like implore without the ‘l’, the second like Poland and the last like mama.

ZULU
ENGLISH
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Howick, KZN, South Africa.
Howick Falls, KZN, South Africa.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Victoria, Zimbabwe.
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Maletsunyane, Semonkong, Lesotho.
Maletsunyane Waterfall, Semonkong, Lesotho.
I-mpo-pho-ma i- Shypit, Ukraine.
Shypit Falls, Ukraine.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Niagara, Canada.
Niagara Falls, Canada.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Iguazu, Brazil.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Iguazu, Argentina.
Iguazu Falls, Brazil.
Iguazu Falls, Argentina.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Jeongbangpokpo, South Korea.
Jeongbangpokpo Falls, South Korea.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Black Forest, Germany.
Black Forest Waterfall, Germany.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Tallulah, Georgia, U.S.
Tallulah Falls, Georgia U.S.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Jura, France.
Jura Waterfall, France.
I-mpo-pho-ma i-Agbokim, Cross River State, Nigeria.
Agbokim Waterfall, Cross-River State, Nigeria.
By:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners