Marriage Institution


I am an NRI, translated into: no-real Indian.  I follow Indian cinema in my quest to find only one million original films before humanity as we know it disappears.  I will use the term Indian cinema sparingly because I only have access to Hindi films, not Tamil, Malayalam, Punjabi, Kashmiri, Konkani, Nepali, Khasi, Dogri, Garo and other languages.

I had some time on my time hands, so I went looking for Tabu, the Indian actress.  I ended up buying Biwi No. 1, one of her movies.  It was a good find because it also features my favourite, Sushmita Sen, the evil model who entices the husband (Salman Khan) away from his wife (Karishma Kapoor).

The saris are my favourite part of the film.  Karishma Kapoor is draped in all kinds of silks.  The film’s content is something beyond my reach.  I’ll be interested in what other people think about the institution called marriage.  Biwi No. 1 is heavy stuff.  

Who exactly is responsible for making this so-called ‘wonderful institution’ work?  Are men justified in being forever young, while wanting all the benefits of marriage? Why do most women want to get married, knowing the demands on married women?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Organic Brussels Sprouts