Don't Yell


Yelling is me-me-za in Zulu.


Now, let’s talk about the English influence on the language isi-Zulu or how Africans tweaked English.  Shout and yelling are the same I believe, but shout became u-ya-sha-wo-da.  The right Zulu word for talking loudly is me-me-za.
Wimbledon umpires don’t want supporters yelling Naomi Osaka, Rafael Nadal and other players.

“Quiet please, ladies and gentlemen.”
Me-me-za.  Speaking loudly in anger is yelling.  At the same time, looking for a lost kid means going around the forest or streets shouting his name. 

Yelling can lead to divorce.  The yeller yells out of frustration because the other party is stagnant emotionally, like waters in a dam.  A character in one Yoruba movie said he didn’t marry the woman he loved because he couldn’t envisage a lifetime of yelling.
Lots of yelling in sports, as demented coaches yell from the bench.  Kids are the most painful aspect of domestic violence.  They cry once the yelling starts, before parents hit each other or throw furniture around.  Kids know, when there is trouble in paradise.
Me-me-za.  You say the first and second parts like messenger and the last like Zagreb, the capital of Croatia.

ZULU
ENGLISH
Me-me-za u-Sushmita.
Call Sushmita.
Me-me-za u-Gabriel.
Call Gabriel.
Ba-ya-me-me-za.
They are shouting.
Mu-sa u-ku-me-me-za.
Don’t yell.
U-Drake u-ya-me-me-za u-ma ku-dla-la i-Raptors.
Drake shouts during a Toronto Raptors game.
A-ba-la-nde-li be Liverpool F.C. Ba-ya-me-me-za.
Liverpool supporters are yelling.
U-mama no-baba ba-ya-lwa.
Mon and dad are fighting.
Ngi-ya-zi ngo-ba ba-ya-me-me-za-na.
I know because they are yelling at each other.
Chris wa-me-me-za kwe-nze-nja-ni?
Chris, you’re yelling.  What’s going on?
Ngi-ya-me-me--za ngo-ba ngi-di-ni-we.
I’m yelling because I’m mad.
By:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners