Enough in Zulu

Enough in -nele Zulu.
I’ve had enough, is a popular movie line, said in anger.  Enough is enough, I’m not cooking anymore, said a woman tired of quiet family dinners because everybody is on cellphones except her.  I never do dessert in restaurants because the main dish closes all gates.
  
Children in South Africa also have names that mean enough.  For example, after five daughters, the family will name the new baby girl Anele, meaning we have enough daughters.  If it is sons, they will call the new boy Sanele, we have enough sons now.

What I find incredible is that a family of 3 might name the 4th child Sanele (we are enough), whether they have a mix of boys and girls or not.  Do you know somebody called Sanele?  
Chances are, he/she is the last born and this happened way back when, before u-Thukela River started flowing, long before planned parenthood. Once they name a child enough, nature somehow understands and they don't have any more kids.  Amazing!

Once again, there are other factors that determine why kids are named enough. It all depends on the family’s circumstances or its wishes for the baby’s future.

I’m a cinema nomad and I’m currently parked in Nigeria, Yoruba movies in particular.  Being dumped is not something we include in our C.V., but it drives me crazy in these movies every time I see a character crying non-stop after being dumped. “After all I did for him.”  Friends get irritated and say: Kwanele, which means it’s enough.  Stop crying.

-ne-le. You say the first part like neck and the last one like leg.

ZULU
ENGLISH
Sanele.
A name for boys and girls, meaning we are enough.
Anele amantombazane.
A girl’s name meaning we have enough daughters.  Anele, short version.
Kwanele.
A boy’s name which means, it is enough.
Kwa-ne-le u-ku-dla?
Is food enough?
Ye-bo kwa-ne-le.
Cha a-kwa-ne-le.
Yes.  It’s enough.
No.  It’s not enough.
I-rice futhi?
More rice?
Cha, nganele.
No.  I’ve had enough.
I-ti-ye futhi?
More tea?
Cha, nganele.
No.  I’ve had enough.
A-wa-ne-le u-petrol.
Gas is not enough.
Petrus, wa-ne-le?
Petrus, have you had enough?
Yebo, nganele Alice.
Yes. I’ve had enough Alice.
U-ya-ngenelisa.
He or she gives me enough, satisfies me.

We have enough food for the child's naming ceremony.
By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners