You Pic Sabbatical

I’m on sabbatical from You Pic because of the incredible work on display by amateur and professional photographers, the best online, an opinion I’ve voiced in my other blogs. 

I decided to stand back and evaluate the volume or non-volume of my work, if we can call it that.  I came to the conclusion that I am not in the position to contribute positively to this quality because of the nature of photography.
Photography opportunities present themselves locally and externally.  The local environment is fruitful: a sunset with purple and pink hues, a carousel of sun rays through the forest, a toddler pushing his own stroller, a flying goalkeeper at a junior soccer game, someone dressed to kill in 60’s platform shoes and bell bottom pants, people sorting beans or a line of human carriers with identical loads on their heads.

Photography also happens outside the home territory.  It is planned, like a trip to beautiful British Columbia.  This Canadian province is a good example because of the topography, people from all corners of the world and varied daily activities. 
Planned trips are also determined by hobbies or interests. This involves budgets for airfare, hotel accommodation, car rental, appropriate clothing, tour guides, insurance for equipment etc.  
Flying to other provinces or countries to capture original footage is out of the question because of commitments that have me glued in the chosen province.  It is home and the reason for the sabbatical.  There are very few photographic opportunities because the land is flat as a ruler.  Summer doesn’t bring a lot of colour because it is mainly grassland.  That is why local parks try to fill the gap by planting flowers.


Photography is more than mountains, valleys and waterfalls you might argue.  True.  That is how I found things to capture for about two years and shared them on You Pic but I don’t feel comfortable with sending the same images annually.  The province where I live doesn’t offer a plethora of photographic moments. It will be cheating You Pic photographers who go to great lengths to bring us original footage.

I will just watch from the wings, until I find an opportunity to fly away to another part of the world to capture original footage of fauna, flora and human beings.
Nonqaba waka Msimang is a photographer on sabbatical and author of Sweetness the novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners